Friday, February 8, 2013

My God is So Big!

My God is so BIG, 
so STRONG, 
and so MIGHTY!
There's NOTHING my God cannot Do!

    These are the words to one of my favorite children's VBS songs.  I've sung this song countless times, both as a child growing up and as an adult teaching a toddler class or helping with children's functions at church.  What a simple, yet amazing concept to teach our children!  Unfortunately, I often found myself singing the words to the song without really taking them into account in my life.
    Lately, however, the words to this song have been very important in my life.  You see, during our family Christmas, we had a devotional.  We sang a combination of devotional and children's songs, and my almost 3 year old nephew asked if we could sing this song.  As I held my baby girl and sang, tears all the sudden started filling my eyes.  My daughter, who was born 5 weeks early, was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at 3 weeks old.  Because of her health condition and cold and flu season hitting hard this year, she and I have been unable to attend worship with our church family.  As my daughter listened to congregational singing for the first time in her life, I realized just how BIG my God actually is!  He blessed my husband and me with a family who prays fervently for us.  He blessed us with a church family who stepped in when Harper's medical bills seemed to be a bigger mountain than we could handle.  He blessed us with a beautiful baby girl whose smile could make even the toughest heart melt into a pile of goo!  He blessed us with the responsibility of caring for a sick daughter.  
    Since Christmas, this is usually the first song I sing to my daughter when she starts fussing during her Respiratory Therapy. She often looks me in the eye and stops fussing as I sing this song.  Sometimes, she even "sings" with me!  What a way to lift my spirits when I'm angry or sad about Harper's CF!   
     As I look at the world around me, I see many big issues to face.  I see families struggling with the loss of loved ones.  I see individuals facing cancer as their families watch with breaking hearts.  I see Satan tearing society apart with his games.  As horrible as all of these things are, I see a GOD WHO IS BIGGER! For me, right now, that is all I need to know...God is Bigger than my struggles.  It is so comforting to know that God's love and grace and mercy are much bigger than anything I can imagine facing.  On days when I feel too small to handle the pressures that seem so large, I just have to remember that my God is bigger!  On days when it seems like the dark clouds of the world are growing larger and larger, I just have to remember that God is Bigger!  His strength is sufficient.  The God who created the mountains and the oceans is the God who is watching over me. What an awesome reminder!
      From now on, I want to strive to follow the wise words of a bumper sticker I saw a while back:  "Rather than telling God how big your problems are; tell your problems how big your God is!"  When I remember that, it makes everything else seem so small!  I'm thankful that I serve such a Strong and Mighty God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in and leaving me a note!